If you are chronically getting poor-quality sleep, you understand the issues that can come from it. Over time, a lack of sleep can have serious health effects and leave you feeling groggy and not performing well in daily life (Institute of Medicine).
You may turn to the internet for ideas on how to improve your sleep quality and become overwhelmed by suggestions. There are many factors that can affect your sleep quality each night.
How to Start Improving Your Sleep
Below, we have gathered the top issues people commonly have. Start by looking at each one of these suggestions one by one and think about what changes you can make to your sleep routine and lifestyle that may benefit you.
Keeping a sleep diary can help you determine issues that lead to a poor night of sleep or find things that help you sleep better at night. As you test out making changes to your daily life, keep track of these things to find what works best for you.
Common Issues Affecting Sleep Quality
Is Stress a Problem?
Prioritizing your mental health can be vital to a good night’s sleep. If you often find yourself lying awake at night worrying about the day ahead or replaying the day’s events, you may benefit from these tips to better manage stress and worry.
- Journal before bedtime. Getting your thoughts down on paper can help you evaluate your day and future with a clear head. If you have a long list of worries, write them down and make a plan to look at them another day. You may feel better knowing that you have a plan to tackle your problems rather than lying awake hoping you remember to find a solution another day.
- Meditate. Meditation can help clear your mind and calm down stress and anxiety. Find a guided mediation online or search for a local group to join and try it out.
- Make time for yourself. Prioritize finding time for yourself each day and clear your head. Enjoying your day can lead to a more restful night of sleep.
- Talk about your concerns. Talking about your worries with a friend, therapist, or family member may help you manage your stress. Do not leave all the worrying to yourself at bedtime.
Lack of Routine
Having a sleep routine is vital to getting your body ready for rest. Try your best to set a regular schedule and stick to it, even on weekends. We understand that sleeping in on the weekends can be something to look forward to, but it may be causing you more harm than benefit. (Harvard.edu)
Make sure you are planning to get enough sleep each night and find a schedule that works for you.
Do You Consume These?
There are several things that you should avoid consuming within 4 to 6 hours of bedtime to improve your sleep quality. If you regularly consume these things throughout the day, or often before going to bed, test out removing these things from your diet and see how it impacts your sleep.
Potential Problems with Your Sleep Environment
Where you sleep has an enormous impact on your sleep quality. There may be some things you should consider adjusting. Take a look at the list of suggestions below and see if any seem like things you should consider changing.
- Is your bedroom the right temperature? Studies suggest that approximately 65 is ideal (SleepFoundation.org).
- Is your mattress comfortable? Investing in a new mattress may be exactly what you need. If you are tossing and turning to get comfortable each night, you will never wake up feeling rested.
- Is your pillow right for you? Choosing the right pillow for your sleep position and comfort can impact your sleep quality as well. Look at our pillow shopping guide for tips.
- Is there too much or too little noise? You may need to consider purchasing a white noise machine or resetting your appliance's run times.
- Is there too much light? Sleeping in a dark room may help you feel well-rested. Consider investing in black-out curtains if needed or removing extra lights.
Other Ideas and Things to Try
Here are some other tips and tricks that might help improve your sleep quality.
- Try a breathable mattress.
- Try a cooling pillow.
- Diffuse essential oils.
- Limit electronics before bed.
- Dim the lights a few hours before bedtime.
- Get new sheets.
- Spend more time outside each day.
- Get more exercise.
Get Our Advice
At Bedzzz Express, we are the experts in all things sleep. We will help you find the perfect breathable mattress, cooling mattress protector, or cooling pillow to improve your night’s sleep.
We pride ourselves and offering the best products and having the best return policy in the industry. Stop into one of our locations today or contact us for more information.